Saturday, December 1, 2012

Baby Shower

I was co-host to my best friend's baby shower.  I was in charge of the decorations and prizes/gifts plus this awesome drawing we used for pin the sperm on the uterus game!  Gotta give credit to the co-host's 7 or 8 year old daughter for helping me color it!

For decorations, we decided on tissue paper pom-poms and this decorative ribbon cake stand/hangy thing.  Those didn't turn out so well.  I went to a local fabric store to find seam binding and all they had were dull fabrics in bright colors, nothing close to the greyish/green theme we were going for.  I ended up getting ribbon instead.  What I should have done is left the fabric store!  Instead, I bought ribbon by the yards...and it was expensive!  Silly me!  I could have gotten a whole spool of it, like 18 yards for a fraction of the cost...and we wouldn't have run out of ribbon!  We had to space out the ribbon on the cake stand and chandelier.  Didn't look as pretty as it could have but I bet most people at the co-ed shower didn't care about the decorations.

As for the pom-poms, I tried one and was just going from memory on the directions.  I tried pulling the individual pieces of tissue paper apart and it seemed impossible without tearing.  Then the co-host came up and just separated them with force...lol, it kind of worked but it was still in more of a bow shape than a circle.  We ended up tossing it on top of the litter box for decoration, lol.
I wanted to try it out without wasting so much tissue paper, so I cut some in half and tried to make a little one.  I was surprised that the first half of what I separated turned out to look nice, and I probably should have just stopped at the half.  Or maybe tried both sides at once because the other half ended up not opening as much.  It definitely wasn't the round shape it's supposed to be.
I also made a diaper bouquet.  Sadly, I have no proof of how it turned out as I forgot to take pictures.  It was pretty simple and turned out nicely for a first try, didn't take long at all either.  I found a vase and put some diapers on the bottom to fill it up because the foam ball I got was too fat to fit all the way down.  I stuffed a onesie, baby socks and washcloths all around the vase to hide the foam ball.  Then I wrapped diapers around wooden skewers secured with rubber bands (didn't find clear ones) and stuck those in the foam ball.  The diapers I got were Sesame Street ones (didn't do that on purpose) so the color on them added a nice touch (take my word for it).  Instead of tulle, I used tissue paper (because I got a crapload of it trying to find the right color).

I saw this pin for DIY foldy mini gift bags and wanted to give it a try for the gifts and favors.  Since the pin didn't give directions, I had to play around with folding the card stock and surprisingly got it to work pretty decently on my first shot.  I got fancy card stock for the baby shower bags and this stuff was way too hard to bend, but it still worked.  It gets pretty simple after you get it down.  One bag ended up taking about 5 minutes or less.  I didn't have any glue to keep the corners from sort of getting in the way (not needed so much in the one pictured as I did the ribbon/handles different for this one) and I loaded those babies up with double sided tape...which only lasted 5 minutes on the plasticy, thick card stock.  I didn't do any of the fancy trim or get those knobs for the handles.  A little ribbon did the trick.

I will definitely be creating another entry with directions on how to make these neat little gift bags!

No comments:

Post a Comment